Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 11:26:16 +0100

Hello,

I also agree that we should either not switch, or switch with a short
period of overlap. It does not make sense to spread our limited time to
work on two systems at the same time. And it definitely does not make
sense to spend additional development work (by whom?) to create a bridge
between the two.

Am Fri, Mar 07, 2025 at 10:21:48AM +0100 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus:
> It does not even do simple things like delivering notifications to
> *everyone* who participates in an issue discussion.  This is the reason
> for the sudden eery silence that can be seen in many issues.

And it is something I learnt just recently after more than ten years of
contributing to Guix! If I understood correctly, it does not even alert
the original submitter. Probably I have closed a few issues because the
submitter had not read my comments or request for more information and
I had deduced that they were no longer interested. This alone would be a
reason for me to switch to a different system. We claim that our workflow
is "email based", but in fact it is not: To be informed about issues I
have contributed to, I need to keep each and every one in a bookmark and
visit it with my web browser regularly. At least in the forges I have seen
so far, I get an (often cryptic) email message when something happens
that entices me to connect to the web.

Anyway, I usually look at QA and the issues on the web when I have time
for a little committer work. The situation in which email works is when
I get an automatic copy for a patch touching one of my teams (and this
is very useful).

The overly graphic nature of these web forges makes them somewhat
confusing. For instance, it took me a little while to understand where
the trivial little patch was for an issue on Ludovic's test instance,
until I realised I needed to click once more. issues.guix.gnu.org is
much more focussed and less cluttered.

On the other hand, as soon as there is a patch series on issues, it also
becomes more or less unreadable; after 5 versions of a 6-patch series,
it becomes difficult to find the start of the current version and all
comments in between.

Andreas