Subject: Re: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: 45mg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2025 05:22:00 +0000

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
>> For one example, consider
>> <https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science/pulls/63>.
>>
>> As you can see, there is no “Commit“ and no “Files changed“.  Why?
>> Because Alexis deleted the PR branch.  Therefore, harder to know what
>> the PR was about; annoyances.
>
> Thanks for raising this. This is a very important point. Losing history
> like this seems very bad. Ideally, we want to have an archive of every
> conversation and contribution that went into the project. Emails provide
> this. If Codeberg does not, we should rethink our move.

If you read through the Conversation section, you can see a message for
every time commits were added to the branch or it was force-pushed. If
you click on the commit hashes or subjects in these messages, it takes
you to a description of the commit, featuring a diff and files changed.
In this way you can see every iteration of the PR, just like we have
every patch revision in our mailing-list archives.

One thing I particularly like is that the final message (well, the one
before 'deleted branch *typst*') shows you the commit that was finally
merged. On the mailing lists, many of the issues are closed with a
message like 'applied with minor tweaks, thanks', and not all committers
will note the commit hash - so you're left grepping for the patch
subject line in `git log` if you want to know what tweaks were made.
Codeberg automatically notes the hash, and you can see the final
iteration just by clicking on it!