Subject: Re: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Carlo Zancanaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2025 16:10:28 +1100

Hi Divya,

On Fri, Mar 07 2025, Divya Ranjan via Guix-patches via wrote:
> To achieve our goal of helping newcomers, [...]

I don't think this is a fair summary of the goal. The first sentence of
the GCD[1] is:

  The contribution workflow in Guix has been facing several challenges:
  difficult onboarding, lack of legibility, complex, unreliable, and
  labor-intensive infrastructure, and lack of automation.

Of these, only "difficult onboarding" is about newcomers. Your proposal
(which I might describe as "proxy Codeberg into debbugs") involves
building new infrastructure without helping the other issues.

> Since Codeberg already allows to communicate in issues over email,
> i.e. you can respond to someone in a particular issue over email, this
> shouldn’t be too difficult to arrange.

This is not true today. While Forgejo supports replying via email,
Codeberg does not have that enabled due to bugs. They have an issue
tracking it: https://codeberg.org/Codeberg/Community/issues/1562

Even if it was true, the big disconnect here would be around commenting
on specific lines of code. An email with a comment on a patch would come
through as a top-level comment on the PR, which is not natural in that
context.

Carlo