Subject: Re: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2025 23:33:42 +0000

Hi Simon,

> For one example, consider
> <https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science/pulls/63>.
>
> As you can see, there is no “Commit“ and no “Files changed“.  Why?
> Because Alexis deleted the PR branch.  Therefore, harder to know what
> the PR was about; annoyances.

Thanks for raising this. This is a very important point. Losing history
like this seems very bad. Ideally, we want to have an archive of every
conversation and contribution that went into the project. Emails provide
this. If Codeberg does not, we should rethink our move.

I would also be in favour of postponing this GCD so that the
guix-science channel team can gain more experience with Codeberg and the
PR workflow. Quirks and annoyances like the above can only be found with
more time. guix-science moved to Codeberg only in January, IIUC. It's a
bit too soon to move the rest of Guix. Postponing the migration will
also give us more time to develop automation around Codeberg and see how
well that works out.

>> [5]: Quick digression: Users must actually download about 1 GiB of data
>> on their first guix pull.
>
> Hum, a bit less than 1GiB of data, no?

Yes, indeed, I said "about" 1 GiB. I was providing approximate
human-readable numbers. :-)

Regards,
Arun