Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2025 18:39:56 +0100

Hi,

I agree with most of Maxim’s message.  I add two points.

On Tue, 04 Mar 2025 at 20:22, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I see the argument that there's an HTTP API for Forgejo; that's great,
> but it requires that everyone relearn another way of doing something
> that already works well enough for me and others, which I'm not too
> excited about.  I also assume the Forgejo-related tooling, given their
> young age, would not be as mature and missing features in places, and
> that it would require invested time to comfortably do all that can be
> done today in Gnus and Emacs Debbugs, away from the web interface, in
> the environment of choice (Emacs) of perhaps a majority of the Guix
> contributors.

  a) Today, it’s not possible to work offline or by batch.  To my
     knowledge, there is no tool; at least nothing compatible with
     Emacs.

  b) Today, it’s not possible to comment on patches without the
     web-interface, to my knowledge; least nothing compatible with
     Emacs.

( Aside, through my own glasses, it would be a blocker.  But I’ve myopia
  and I know all people do not have the same lenses. ;-) I mean, I agree
  that our workflow reach some limitations and that we need to act now
  for helping the review/merge workload.  Well, I’m adjusting my
  glasses. :-) )

>> Within **30 days** following acceptance of this GCD, committers would
>> migrate all these repositories to https://codeberg.org/guix.
>>
>> For Guix itself, we would decide on a **flag day** 14 days after
>> acceptance of this GCD at the earliest, and 30 days at the latest.  On
>> that day, the official URL of the Guix repository would become
>> https://codeberg.org/guix/guix.git.  A commit would reflect that by
>> updating:
>
> I'd like to suggest extending the 'trial' period to something much
> longer, like a year or so, to make sure our parachute is properly
> installed before jumping the cliff :-).

I agree.  I propose 1. To design the move of the basis of teams in order
to be a bit more incremental [1].  And 2. To help in implementing a
simple one-way bridge [2]: report the open PR inside Debbugs.

Cheers,
simon

1: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg
Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Thu, 06 Mar 2025 17:36:29 +0100
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76503
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

2: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg
Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Thu, 06 Mar 2025 17:35:25 +0100
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76503
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]