Subject: [bug#76503] git request-pull (was Re: [bug#76503] [GCD])

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2025 18:00:15 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 02 Mar 2025 at 18:07, runciter--- via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Git has a 'request-pull' sub-command:
>
> git request-pull [-p] <start> <URL> [<end>]

Do you mean send to guix-patches the output of this command?

If yes, it would still require that the emails is well-formed.  Then, it
would also require to adapt current extractors in order to get the
repository.

Such submission would create a temporary branch somewhere, because the
Contributor who submitted the request-pull could delete their own branch
and/or repository and/or the repository could be down.  Therefore, it
would also require to adapt current tooling in order to delete the
branch once the submission is merged (Debbugs issue closed, roughly).

In addition, it would require to adapt again when it’s the second, third
or more revision of the submission.

Last, it would not be possible – to my knowledge – to comment on a patch
basis but you could only have one unique diff of the whole series.

This latter point appears to be a blocker for an alternative.

Cheers,
simon