Subject: Issue tracker (was Re: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg)

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2025 17:03:16 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Fri, 28 Feb 2025 at 23:33, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Examples: I easily lose track of updated patch versions and comments
> because they’re just more unread email in my inbox;

Switch from Gnus to Notmuch. ;-)

Joke aside, I agree that’s annoying…

> because they’re just more unread email in my inbox; contributors
> sometimes lose track of what they sent, so they open a new issue, and I
> find myself digging for the original submission and review;

…and that’s too.  Well, I agree it’s become a mess when the thread’s
broken and another issue is open.

However, weeks or months later, you can still easily give a look to the
submission.  That’s not the case with PR: when Contributor deletes its
own branch then it’s more complicated, I guess.

One example: https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science/pulls/63

As you see, there’s no Commit or Files Changes because Alexis deleted
the branch – yeah because the PR had been merged! :-) Yeah too that the
PR and history is somewhere but not easily accessible.

Just to point it can also become messy. :-)

Well, I do not have a strong experience on reviewing so I trust your
words when you say Codeberg might help here, eventually.

However, I think I have an experience about dealing with issues.  Well,
for what my words are worth, most of what I’ve done are because all the
issues are emails.  Somehow, coupling Emacs, Debbugs.el, Notmuch,
piem.el and Org-mode is my way to scale.  For sure, I will never do
bug-triage without such tools.

Yes, Codeberg provides a nice API.  Yes, it’s up to us to exploit it!
Yes, I’ve started to give a look. :-)  But to my knowledge, nothing is
ready.

Therefore, I propose to postpone the discussion about the migration of
the “Issue Tracker”.  Currently, it’s not part of our current
limitations, IMHO.

Somehow, I propose to delay the migration of the “Issue Tracker” and
open a GCD once we have 2-3 months of a full experience with the PR
workflow.

WDYT?

Or do I miss a radically awesome feature? :-)

Cheers,
simon