Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2025 15:15:43 +0100

Hi,

Arun, thanks for this analysis.  I concur on many points!

On Tue, 25 Feb 2025 at 14:03, Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> wrote:

>        In fact, in order to save on disk space, they suggested that we
> encourage our contributors to delete their forks once done. :-D Needless
> to say, that's never going to happen!

Moreover, this raises another concern: Such removal also make the
history harder to access and do not really save disk space, IIUC.

For one example, consider
<https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science/pulls/63>.

As you can see, there is no “Commit“ and no “Files changed“.  Why?
Because Alexis deleted the PR branch.  Therefore, harder to know what
the PR was about; annoyances.

And the history seems still around.  For example, we can access to the
first version [1,2] and compare with the second (force-pushed) version
[3].

Therefore, even using AGit workflow, we need to do some
back-to-the-envelope computations and estimate what is the scale of
Guix.  Then ask if Codeberg has the capacity to host us.

Somehow, that’s not an unilateral decision, IMHO.

1: https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science/commit/a333ccb9b729336501ae6c51f2c410b0e84ed200
2: https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science/commit/8ecbff34229c0be0fc06fbd3d20122937fea1967
3: https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science/compare/8ecbff34229c0be0fc06fbd3d20122937fea1967..efa112e41ec881bce47a6a287cad6bf2aaad1a96

> [5]: Quick digression: Users must actually download about 1 GiB of data
> on their first guix pull.

Hum, a bit less than 1GiB of data, no?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
Cloning into 'guix'...
remote: Counting objects: 869271, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (173792/173792), done.
remote: Total 869271 (delta 695019), reused 869256 (delta 695009)
Receiving objects: 100% (869271/869271), 486.94 MiB | 441.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (695019/695019), done.

$ du -sh guix
678M	guix
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---