Subject: Re: bug#76494: [PATCH] Highlight fill-column-indicator when current line is longer than `fill-column'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2025 14:31:39 +0200

> From: Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 19:15:07 -0600
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The character is the same for all the screen lines, so if you change
> > it, that affects all the lines.
> 
> Not if you use setq-local which prevents this problem,
> such as this code:

There might be some misunderstanding: using setq-local makes the
character local to a buffer, whereas I thought you wanted to use a
special character only for the lines that exceed the fill-column?
When I use your code, then whenever I'm on a line that is too long,
_all_ the fill-column indicators in the window change into the U+2503
character shown in red, not just the indicator of that single line.

Did I misunderstand what you are trying to accomplish?