Subject: bug#75515: closed (Re: bug#76478: 30.0.92; doc-view--revert-buffer fails when saving OpenDocument spreadsheets)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2025 11:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#76478: 30.0.92; doc-view: Saving an epub raises error in doc-view--revert-buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76478: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76478
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76478: 30.0.92; doc-view--revert-buffer fails when saving OpenDocument spreadsheets
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2025 13:12:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],   [email-masked],   [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2025 13:54:54 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> >> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 11:12:04 +0200
> >> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> >> 
> >> > From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
> >> > Cc: Roland Winkler <[email-masked]>,   [email-masked]
> >> > Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 10:08:38 +0100
> >> > 
> >> > And Eli, in which version do you want the fix?  I think the issue
> >> > is quite old and as explained above, you will usually only trigger
> >> > it when editing OpenDocument contents which probably is quite
> >> > uncommon.
> >> 
> >> I think fixing this on master should be okay, thanks.
> >
> > Ping!  Tassilo, would you please install your patch?
> 
> Done just now.  Roland, please give it a try.

No further comments within 2 weeks, so I presume the bug was indeed
solved, and I'm therefore closing it.

Subject: 30.0.92; doc-view: Saving an epub raises error in doc-view--revert-buffer
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 15:29:53 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I was editing an epub file.  When I save, I get an error from
doc-view--revert-buffer.  I have reproduced the problem with "emacs -Q".

Steps:

* Open an epub file.  (I can make a minimal example file, if that
  helps.)
* Switch to archive mode with C-c C-c.  (Epubs are zip files.)
* Open and edit one of the files in the zip.
* Save the file (C-x C-s).
* The mini-buffer shows "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil".  Running
  with debug-on-error gives the backtrace below.
* The Zip-File was actually saved, but the archive buffer is left in a
  raw-bytes mode and the modified file is still marked modified.

----

    Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
      doc-view--revert-buffer(#[128 "\301\302\300!\2\"\207" [revert-buffer-function apply default-value] 4 advice--forward] t t)
      apply(doc-view--revert-buffer #[128 "\301\302\300!\2\"\207" [revert-buffer-function apply default-value] 4 advice--forward] (t t))
      #f(advice doc-view--revert-buffer :around #[128 "\301\302\300!\2\"\207" [revert-buffer-function apply default-value] 4 advice--forward])(t t)
      archive--mode-revert(#f(advice doc-view--revert-buffer :around #[128 "\301\302\300!\2\"\207" [revert-buffer-function apply default-value] 4 advice--forward]) nil t)
      apply(archive--mode-revert #f(advice doc-view--revert-buffer :around #[128 "\301\302\300!\2\"\207" [revert-buffer-function apply default-value] 4 advice--forward]) (nil t))
      #f(advice archive--mode-revert :around #f(advice doc-view--revert-buffer :around #[128 "\301\302\300!\2\"\207" [revert-buffer-function apply default-value] 4 advice--forward]))(nil t)
      revert-buffer(nil t)
      #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x5455c868d873543>)()
      archive--with-ensure-extension("/home/benny/Downloads/epubs/Dona Rosita la Soltera.epub" #f(compiled-function (archive) #<bytecode 0x7c85228407ddbaf>))
      archive-*-write-file-member("/home/benny/Downloads/epubs/Dona Rosita la Soltera.epub" #s(archive--file-desc :ext-file-name "META-INF/container.xml" :int-file-name "META-INF/container.xml" :mode 384 :size 244 :time "27-Feb-2017 22:54:36" :ratio nil :uid nil :gid nil :pos 52893) ("zip" "-q"))
      archive-zip-write-file-member("/home/benny/Downloads/epubs/Dona Rosita la Soltera.epub" #s(archive--file-desc :ext-file-name "META-INF/container.xml" :int-file-name "META-INF/container.xml" :mode 384 :size 244 :time "27-Feb-2017 22:54:36" :ratio nil :uid nil :gid nil :pos 52893))

----

In GNU Emacs 30.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-11-27 built on arrian
Repository revision: fc17e8727d48c32f2610c6fe7c17147bff7be52b
Repository branch: emacs-30
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Zip-Archive

Minor modes in effect:
  doc-view-minor-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/Projects/ttf-mode/arc-mode-compat hides ~/emacs/arc-mode-compat
/home/benny/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240729.1524/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.92/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message emacsbug ttf-glyphs rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode
facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok arc-mode archive-mode gnus-kill nndoc
comp-run python project compat oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator ol-eww benny-nitter
eww xdg url-queue ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
ol-docview doc-view filenotify image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script smie treesit executable ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version
org-compat org-macs display-line-numbers shortdoc comp-common rx
thingatpt help-fns smerge-mode diff shr-color color qp sort smiley
gnus-cite flow-fill mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg
gnus-dup gnus-ml pp gnus-topic jka-compr mm-archive url-http url-gw
url-cache url-auth nndraft nnmh nnfolder bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg message-x pop3
gnus-group gnus-undo nnrss dom mm-url bbdb-com crm bbdb bbdb-site
timezone gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit imenu view mule-util
dired-aux time-date desktop frameset highline benny-calendar-cfg
ange-ftp generic-x autoinsert cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-styles cc-align cc-cmds cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ps-print
ps-print-loaddefs lpr advice cl-extra help-mode dired dired-loaddefs
derived benny-x-clipboard disp-table time server protbuf xclip
term/xterm xterm xt-mouse cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai
cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays holiday-loaddefs vc-git diff-mode
track-changes easy-mmode vc-dispatcher diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs delsel grep compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring cua-base cus-load format-spec battery dbus xml
.loaddefs benny-tools autoload loaddefs-gen radix-tree lisp-mnt
bbdb-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads elpher-autoloads enwc-autoloads graphql-autoloads
graphql-doc-autoloads graphql-mode-autoloads jsonian-autoloads
lsp-java-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads
lsp-treemacs-autoloads lsp-ui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads f-autoloads
magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
markdown-preview-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
mastodon-autoloads monky-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads
osm-autoloads persist-autoloads request-autoloads sly-autoloads
sql-indent-autoloads sqlup-mode-autoloads telega-autoloads tp-autoloads
transient-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads
ht-autoloads hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads
avy-autoloads s-autoloads dash-autoloads vc-fossil-autoloads
visual-fill-column-autoloads websocket-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads x509-mode-autoloads xclip-autoloads yaml-autoloads
yaml-imenu-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 636284 118044) (symbols 48 36587 0)
 (strings 32 154237 18123) (string-bytes 1 4411985) (vectors 16 83147)
 (vector-slots 8 1754624 224329) (floats 8 1431 9469)
 (intervals 56 1085 373) (buffers 992 56))