Subject: Re: bug#7645: Fwd: bug#7645: 23.2; ido commands failed to execute if there is some killed buffer

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:03:01 -0500

Abaw <[email-masked]> writes:

> [buffer-list] rarely(less than 1 time per month) returns killed
> buffers, but it does.  Maybe some of my used packages referenced the
> killed buffers.

If so, that would be a bug.  `buffer-list' returns the contents of a
list of live buffers maintained internally by Emacs.  When a buffer is
killed, it should be simultaneously removed from this internal list.

> The elisp reference manual has mentioned about this behavior:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Killing-Buffers.
> html#Killing-Buffers
>
> The buffer object for the buffer that has been killed remains in
> existence as long as anything refers to it, but it is specially marked
> so that you cannot make it current or display it. Killed buffers
> retain their identity, however; if you kill two distinct buffers, they
> remain distinct according to eq although both are dead.

This is a separate issue.  The buffer object remains in existence, but
it should always be removed from the list of live buffers.

Do you happen to have a Lisp backtrace of this error?