Subject: 31.0.50; `eww' makes display property sticky

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 20:01:04 +0100

Hi,

Here is a recipe that makes characters typed into a bug report
invisible.

   - emacs -Q
   - M-x eww <RET> gnu.org <RET>
   - M-x report-emacs-bug <RET> foo <RET>

Now in the message buffer for the report, any character you type won't
appear.  A previous discussion with Eli on help-gnu-emacs shows that
this comes from an incorrect value of `text-property-default-nonsticky'.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.6, X toolkit) of
 2025-02-20 built on computer
Repository revision: d80ac0fbaa09826342a9818014ae950acc7c0c03
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101015
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.6 GENERIC.MP#554 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --bindir=/home/manuel/bin --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars=no --without-cairo
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XFT XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  exwm-randr-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  comint-fontify-input-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xsettings hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-xsettings
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xim hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-xim
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-workspace hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-workspace
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-randr hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-randr
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-manage hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-manage
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-layout hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-layout
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-input hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-input
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-floating hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-floating
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-systemtray hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-systemtray
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-core hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-core
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-background hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-background
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.9.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(mailalias smtpmail gnus-cite textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
gnus-topic qp mm-archive url-cache utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh
network-stream nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug
org-agenda cus-start org-indent conf-mode tex-mode oc-basic org-element
org-persist org-id org-element-ast inline avl-tree ol-eww eww vtable
url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
ol-docview ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script smie treesit executable
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs org-compat org-macs
doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif hideshow rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok vc-hg
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view log-edit add-log
pcvs-util mule-util on-screen macrostep-c cmacexp debbugs-browse
bug-reference hi-lock gnus-dired vc-git diff-mode track-changes vc-dir
ewoc vc vc-dispatcher time battery desktop frameset exwm-randr xcb-randr
exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server ef-themes modus-operandi-theme
modus-themes zone speed-type url-http url-auth url-gw nsm ytdious
mpdired transmission color calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect
calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win ebdb-message message yank-media puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm
ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func
eieio-base timezone icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util range sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils web-mode
derived disp-table erlang-start skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf
grep slime-tramp tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date
format-spec tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent
cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch
slime-presentations slime-macrostep macrostep compat slime-mdot-fu
slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile text-property-search etags
fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt elec-pair edmacro
kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs use-package-core repeat easy-mmode cus-edit pp cus-load
wid-edit debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads cl-extra help-mode
ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads
kotl-autoloads hact set hhist notmuch-autoloads on-screen-autoloads
osm-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads info
slime-autoloads macrostep-autoloads speed-type-autoloads
sudo-edit-autoloads svg-clock-autoloads tablist-autoloads
transmission-autoloads xelb-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package
browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1041098 449040) (symbols 48 58662 40)
 (strings 32 290945 32447) (string-bytes 1 8153561)
 (vectors 16 180781) (vector-slots 8 2453492 88159) (floats 8 670 236)
 (intervals 56 16260 1018) (buffers 992 92))

-- 
Manuel Giraud