Subject: [PATCH] Blind update of Hanwen's go-fuse broke Gocryptfs

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 10:59:21 -0800

Package: guix
Severity: grave
Tags: patch

Hi,

The blind update of Hanwen's go-fuse to 2.7.2 [1] broke Gocryptfs. [2]

I have a working patch, which will appear here shortly.

As a general note, I disagree with Guix's stance to diverge from go.mod
when present.  I spent several hours tracking down the error and testing
the fix (not to mention bothering upstream) for nothing.  It should have
never happened

Meanwhile, I was unable to log in. [3]

It is a gross overestimation that the Go team can outsmart upstream
developers who provide a specific list of prerequisites.  It's also an
error because packaging Goland prerequisites---if one can call it
that---involves no more than tarring up source files.  That step has few
prerequisites and rebuids are rare.  Multiple source versions do not
burden the substitute servers.

The security argument is likewise bogus, as this bug shows.  Any changes
to the prerequisites should be submitted upstream (or be patched when
upstream is unresponsive).

There are several ways to implement prerequisite tracking: Maybe it's
switching package variables to functions that pull the correct version
(or commit).  The consuming package definition should then be generated
from go.mod when present.  Thanks!

Kind regards
Felix

P.S. Sharlatan, thanks for fixing Bug#71795!

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=d12c7edb32e3a3b2f57e8afee7ddcf4f7015363e
[2] https://github.com/rfjakob/gocryptfs/issues/897
[3] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76105#11