Subject: bug#76441: 29.4; Emacs 30.1 RC 1: makeinfo always needed when building from release archive

From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 17:32:04 +0100

Assuming that Texinfo isn't installed:

$ wget https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-30.1-rc1.tar.xz &&
tar xf emacs-30.1-rc1.tar.xz && cd emacs-30.1 && ./configure
--without-all --with-toolkit-scroll-bars && make

[...]
configure: WARNING: You do not seem to have makeinfo >= 4.13.
You will not be able to rebuild the manuals if you delete them or change
their sources. 
[...]
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make -C doc/lispref info
cp elisp_type_hierarchy.txt ../../info/elisp_type_hierarchy.txt
cp elisp_type_hierarchy.jpg ../../info/elisp_type_hierarchy.jpg
  GEN      ../../info/elisp.info
make[2]: makeinfo: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [../../info/elisp.info] Error 1
make[1]: *** [lispref-info] Error 2
[...]

Maybe lines 151 and 154 in doc/lispref/Makefile.in should say 'cp -p'
instead of just 'cp'?  My guess is that Make tries to rebuild elisp.info
because elisp_type_hierarchy.* are considered new.

Maybe 'configure' should just set MAKEINFO=':' if Makeinfo isn't found?

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin24.3.0, NS
 appkit-2575.40 Version 15.3.1 (Build 24D70)) of 2025-02-20
Repository revision: 6a299b3caceb2c73b932ba73849738faa8c5d975
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2575
System Description:  macOS 15.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-xml2 --without-pop --with-mailutils
 'CFLAGS=-g -O3' LDFLAGS=-O3'

Configured features:
ACL GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug phst skeleton pcase ffap thingatpt url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs json map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars rx message sendmail mailcap yank-media dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader gnutls puny elp dbus xml subr-x compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 69275 10284)
 (symbols 48 8174 0)
 (strings 32 23106 2562)
 (string-bytes 1 704889)
 (vectors 16 16337)
 (vector-slots 8 223287 11490)
 (floats 8 29 54)
 (intervals 56 229 0)
 (buffers 984 10))