Subject: bug#76439: [PATCH] Specify 'tab-bar-history-mode' in 'winner-mode' docstring

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2025 11:29:26 +0100

>>>>> On Fri, 21 Feb 2025 15:46:47 +0530, Visuwesh <[email-masked]> said:

    Stephen> Or "instead, since it provides", since it's a justification of the
    Stephen> recommendation.

    Visuwesh> Are you supposed to have a comma before since?  In any case, is the
    Visuwesh> grammar of

Contrast:

    Itʼs not mandatory but since the sentence is long itʼs nice to
    provide the comma in order to allow the reader to pause mentally.

with putting commas between the clauses:

    Itʼs not mandatory, but since the sentence is long, itʼs nice to
    provide the comma in order to allow the reader to pause mentally.

The following would be excessive (also known as "Shatner-mode"):

    Itʼs not mandatory, but, since the sentence is long, itʼs nice to
    provide the comma, in order to allow the reader to pause, mentally.

In short: the comma before "since" works well.

    Visuwesh>     If you intend to use `tab-bar-mode' with `winner-mode', we recommend
    Visuwesh>     using `tab-bar-history-mode' instead, since it provides tab-specific
    Visuwesh>     window configuration history, and is better behaved when
    Visuwesh>     `tab-bar-mode' is turned on.

    Visuwesh> correct?

    >> That works as well. Iʼm told that using ';' is falling out of favour,
    >> since allegedly the youth of today donʼt understand it.

    Visuwesh> It is hard to figure out where to put the semicolon.  It falling out of
    Visuwesh> favour means there aren't plenty of examples unless you're reading
    Visuwesh> Victorian novels I suppose.

Anytime there can be a comma, there can be a semicolon. Easy 🙂

Robert
--