Subject: Re: bug#7641: use more familiar names for mouse events

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:51:40 +0100

>> I think the general public are more familiar with right-mouse
>> center-mouse left-mouse than these names.
>
> Except that in Emacs, they could be remapped (e.g., mouse-3 could be a
> simultaneous click on both left and right buttons).  If we use left,
> right, and center, the manual could be simply wrong for some
> configurations.
>

I don't understand this quite well.

The manual already associates mouse-X events with left, middle and
right buttons [1][2][3], So, if you remap any of these events, the
manual will be wrong anyway.

Am I missing something?.

I any case, I really think that (`mouse-left', `mouse-middle' and
`mouse-right') would be a much clearer/intuitive/simpler interface,
because mouse-1 will refer to left mouse button in most cases. The
manual could describe their normal meanings (as it does now), and also
state that these events can be remapped.

IOW, this level of abstraction in the mouse events names seems like
unnecessary to me.

[1] [(emacs) Mouse Commands].
   The most basic mouse command is `mouse-set-point', which is called
by clicking with the left mouse button, `Mouse-1', in the text area of
a window. [...]

[2] [(emacs) Mouse Commands].
   Clicking with the middle mouse button, `Mouse-2', moves point to the
position [...].

[3] [(emacs) Mouse Commands].
   Clicking with the right mouse button, `Mouse-3', runs the command
`mouse-save-then-kill'.

-- 
Dani Moncayo