Subject: [bug#76407] [GCD] Rename the default branch

From: Ekaitz Zarraga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2025 21:16:35 +0100

Hi Simon,

I know this change is going to happen regardless of what those who 
oppose it think. That's why I just say I'm not convinced.

Reasons behind it don't convince me, meaning that for me it's a useless 
change that only wants to make some imaginary people more comfortable 
making some real people uncomfortable. In my view, it's stupid.

The interesting way you are putting it is like you are trying to make me 
think my opinion or feelings are not that important, which is exactly my 
point against the change. I still didn't get any real person telling me 
they are hurt by the word 'master'.

I'm "hurt" by this because this is the result of US American (moral) 
imperialism at work, and I reject it, as a citizen of the world.

And following your points, my opinion does NOT have a value, but 
ARGUMENTS do (or should have). That's how I wish projects were handled. 
We cannot please everybody, what I argue here is we are selecting who we 
please, using poor arguments, and talking about imaginary people.

In summary, looks like we are more open to change things to please 
imaginary people than pleasing, lets say, just me, a real person, that 
is actually part of the project. If our goal was pleasing those that are 
uncomfortable, that would be a real debate to have.

That's never been the goal of any of this, and that also I reject.

This conversation has been confrontational, specially by who opened it 
in the name of inclusion and "making people comfortable". If that was 
the real concern, this was a pretty poor way to do it. So, I also reject 
the way this has been conducted.

I've also been pretty critical about moving to a forge, and I shared my 
concerns about it in the past. But the way the proposal has been 
conducted is not confrontational, and its arguments are solid. I can't 
do anything else than support that change.

That's how things should be done.

About cider and pintxos, I have some homemade cider I'd love to share 
with you anytime, if you come for a visit.

About meaningless things, it's not that this "appears" to be 
meaningless, it's that nobody even bothered to make it even reasonable. 
If we are really proposing a change, let me do my part and demand proper 
justifications. This discussion has been just some people agreeing and 
not explaining while they called others fascists or told them they 
SHOULD KNOW why we need to do this to become more inclusive. I think it 
is my right (as it is of others) as part of the community to demand some 
explanation for the change, and for ANY change, the same way I would 
demand explanations for commits I don't understand. Isn't that my job here?

In the end, this has been put as those who reject the change are against 
social justice, and that's not an acceptable way to propose anything 
because it eliminates any possibility for a debate and erases the chance 
of anyone to be against the change. Reducing the issue to "If you 
confront -> you are against social justice".

This (by itself, regardless if the change is stupid or not) only fosters 
division in our community, and I have to reject that too.

So, if you prefer:

I'm AGAINST the change because:

1. I don't think the proposal allowed honest discussion, so it's biased.
2. I don't think the proposal has any base.
3. I don't think the change will make the project more inclusive, but 
may be counterproductive.
4. The change does minimal harm, but more than an absolute zero.
5. I think this change opens the door to similar proposals, which I 
don't think are positive for the community, specially if they are 
conducted like this one.
6. I think the initial goal for the proposal was actually to look for 
confrontation.

Tl;dr:

I do NOT consent. Maybe if this whole thing was done differently I 
would, and I'm still open to ARGUMENTS that change my mind.

In any case, I believe it's going to be done, regardless of what I share 
here, and some people will start to look at me with different eyes 
because of this. Thanks, I suppose.

Best,
Ekaitz