Subject: [bug#76407] [GCD] Rename the default branch

From: Ekaitz Zarraga <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2025 18:25:55 +0100

Hi Simon

> Let me share my reasoning, FWIW.  When discussing such topics where I
> don’t really feel personally concerned, I do not try to rationalize and
> I refrain to ask myself if it is founded or not – slippery slope toward
> time vortex –, and instead, I try to focus on what the change costs me
> and I ask to myself if I can or if I cannot live with this change.
> 
> Somehow, whatever if I rationally consider the rename deeply ridiculous
> or highly important, or something in the middle, instead I answer: Ok,
> it costs me nothing and I can live with this rename.  Then I scrutinize
> the details using the same frame. :-)

I understand, but this way of thinking only encourages more decisions 
that many "can live with", but they are not meaningful.

Also, what drains me from this is not only the fact that this is an 
unreasonable change in many levels, but the fact that those who push for 
it don't care about being reasonable but do care about winning and 
labeling others as "far right". Because that's what all this is about. 
Making others look like they are worse human beings because they don't 
match the political agenda of some (the only one that is right!). And 
this is simply disgusting.

I reject not only the debate itself, but also its reasons and the way it 
has been conducted. I think it has been unfair to those who don't like 
the change.

Of course, I can live with this. Same way those who ask for the change 
can live with 'master' (and have been doing so for almost 15 years in 
this community). I wouldn't say anybody is unable to live with one or 
the other.

So, what are we doing here?

It's just image.

It's the same if someone proposes to put a "Free Palestine" flag in the 
Guix website. It's going to be an extremely divisive decision, that for 
no reason we need to take or even debate[^1]. But just proposing it is 
free internet points for the one who does. (Note that anyone can live 
with a flag, as they are not hazardous)

Guix already pretty clearly stated we are against any form of oppression 
(one of my points has always been that the word `master` by itself does 
not oppress anyone). What else do we need to do?

But hey! Calling people this and that during the process is all in order 
to encourage inclusion and make a healthy community.

I can live with it, but I'm not convinced.

---

[^1]: Don't we all agree on that? Isn't it superobvious? 100% of the 
world population does!

DISCLAIMER: The point is not to debate about any current political 
conflict, but the fact that none of them are universal. The one 
mentioned in this email is the best case I could find to illustrate the 
problem, for obvious reasons.