Subject: [bug#76407] [GCD] Rename the default branch

From: Roman Riabenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2025 15:35:20 +0200

Hello.

Since guix-help was copied on this proposal, I would try to help too.

The word "master" is a metaphor for a subordinate relation. It serves
its technical purpose. It became a boilerplate. So, it is easily
recognisable by sophisticated audience, which makes it difficult to
argue that it is ambiguous for practical purposes. However, being
boilerplate, it does not accurately describe the purpose of that git
branch in guix. For instance, I am not convinced that other branches
being "subordinate" to that branch in some way is its defining
characteristic.

I would argue that the word "main" is also irrelevant because it
describes a relation of importance, which does not seem to be relevant
to the development cycle, neither to building a community. So, the
proposed change to "main" is suboptimal from my perspective.

I would propose the word "release" instead. The word is already widely
used in guix to refer to published source code of stable versions of
software, so it should be easily recognisable and describe the purpose
of the branch accurately. This is the branch where the guix code is
realeased and where the guix releases are published.

I would note that, as long as a better metaphor can be afforded and
considering that the matter has already been considered important
enough to bring it up, discussing the background of the proposal does
not appear to be productive or relevant for arriving at a solution.

Roman