Subject: [bug#76407] [GCD] Rename the default branch

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2025 22:40:47 +0100

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

>> There is a possible negative outcome, for example, that those who
>> think that is unfair (maybe because they grew up watching missiles
>> falling in their city) leave the project. We can agree or disagree,
>> but that is a possibility and we should be empathetic enough to
>> understand it and predict it the same way we try to predict the
>> negative outcomes of our technical decisions.
> Should we also predict that those who grew up watching missiles falling
> in their city are at some point actually hit by said missiles?  I mean,
> there is a possible negative outcome wherein we discuss trivial matters
> such as branch naming while the powers that be invest in arms to start
> a third world war.  Should we not be in the streets in this very
> instant to stop our local governments from spending money on war
> machines that would be much more direly needed in the education and
> healthcare sectors?

Military spending should increase, not decrease.  I personally would
prefer if more of those money stayed in Europe by spending them on
weapons manufactured here, instead of paying the protection racket to
the US (which, with Trump, looks increasingly like a bad deal).

But given the Russian invasion and atrocities committed by them, Europe
needs a strong, self-sufficient fighting force to act as an deterrent.
And, as demonstrated in last ~30 years, it is *hard* to have that force
by spending less than 2% of GDP.

So, to answer your question, no, I do not think we should be in the
streets with the goal of forcing *our* governments to spend less on
tools needed for our defense.

Tomas
-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.