Subject: Re: [bug#76407] [GCD] Rename the default branch

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2025 19:45:55 +0100

Hi Greg,

On Mon, 24 Mar 2025 at 10:08, Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> We can more easily find consensus by saying less (the opposite of a
> majoritarian system).

Do you specifically speak about the GCD at hand proposing to rename the
branch from “master” to “main”?  Or about generically about consensus?

Well, IIUC, it’s about the GCD at hand and your concrete proposal [1]
is:

        Can we find greater but narrower consensus around the practical
        motivation that 1) most users leave unchanged the git default "main",
        therefore "master" will become increasingly uncommon and unexpected,
        2) the choice of "main" is masterfully similar when tab-completing or
        looking through a sorted list of refs, and 3) the move to Codeberg
        presents a hopefully rare opportunity combine disruptive changes? We
        do not need a comprehensive motivation if we can find consensus on the
        outcome.

Right?

This appears to me reasonable.  Your proposal is to narrow the
Motivation section, right?

Cheers,
simon

1: [bug#76407] [GCD] A better name for the default branch
Greg Hogan <[email-masked]>
Fri, 28 Feb 2025 10:46:05 -0500
id:CA+3U0ZmnhHSbd=[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76407
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/CA+3U0ZmnhHSbd=[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/CA+3U0ZmnhHSbd=[email-masked]