Subject: Re: [bug#76407] [GCD] A better name for the default branch

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2025 19:53:57 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I think I share Simon's point of view on this proposal. I'm basically
>> indifferent about the outcome of the proposal. I'd want to see a group
>> effort on enumerating, testing, and solving the technical challenges
>> before we make the change. There has been some discussion about that. I
>> think we should be careful about the technical stuff.
>
> I agree.  It seems to me that the document proposes something doable and
> reasonable technically, but having more eyeballs would help find
> omissions or potential issues.
>
> FWIW I renamed the default branch of a few repositories over the past
> few years, notably Cuirass and Shepherd; it was rather friction-less but
> of course these are smaller repos with fewer contributors.

Coincidentally, guix-cuirass and shepherd are the only two repositories
I mirror that have the wrong default branch in my cgit instance.  Now I
know why, I have probably started mirroring before this change was done
and have missed the announcement about the change.  I should figure out
how to fix it...

Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.