Subject: Re: bug#76407: [GCD] A better name for the default branch

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2025 11:24:35 +0100

Hello,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I think I share Simon's point of view on this proposal. I'm basically
> indifferent about the outcome of the proposal. I'd want to see a group
> effort on enumerating, testing, and solving the technical challenges
> before we make the change. There has been some discussion about that. I
> think we should be careful about the technical stuff.

I agree.  It seems to me that the document proposes something doable and
reasonable technically, but having more eyeballs would help find
omissions or potential issues.

FWIW I renamed the default branch of a few repositories over the past
few years, notably Cuirass and Shepherd; it was rather friction-less but
of course these are smaller repos with fewer contributors.

> Guix team members are the constituents of the GCD process. If some of
> them have objections to a proposal, that means there is work to do, from
> all of us.

Agreed.

Ludo’.