Subject: Re: bug#76406: 31.0.50; Crash with tty child frames

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 18:37:19 +0100

Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 15:21:04 +0100
>>> 
>>> The root frame ended up containing glyphs from a dead menu frame. The
>>> dead frame's face cache was set to NULL because it had been freed. The
>>> series of events leading to this is still unclear to me. At least we
>>> never copy glyphs from a dead frame, that much I can say.
>>
>> Should deleting a frame on a TTY make sure there are no glyphs in the
>> root frame's current glyph matrix whose frame pointer refers to the
>> frame being deleted?
>
> It should. Deleting a child frame should ensure that its root is redrawn
> thoroughly, for the long longer existing child. Which would include
> clearing the root's current matrix. Why that doesn't happen is unclear
> to me.

Or, of course, it happens, and the reason is something else. Something
for the next debugging round.