Subject: bug#76406: 31.0.50; Crash with tty child frames

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 18:22:25 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 15:21:04 +0100
>> 
>> The root frame ended up containing glyphs from a dead menu frame. The
>> dead frame's face cache was set to NULL because it had been freed. The
>> series of events leading to this is still unclear to me. At least we
>> never copy glyphs from a dead frame, that much I can say.
>
> Should deleting a frame on a TTY make sure there are no glyphs in the
> root frame's current glyph matrix whose frame pointer refers to the
> frame being deleted?

It should. Deleting a child frame should ensure that its root is redrawn
thoroughly, for the long longer existing child. Which would include
clearing the root's current matrix. Why that doesn't happen is unclear
to me.