Subject: Re: bug#76394: mouse-face property not working in tab-bar

From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2025 10:19:48 -0500

On Wed, Mar 5, 2025 at 2:58 AM Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Given that text properties don't nest, I matched the faces and use
> separate
> > mouse-face properties for each component so they could be highlighted
> > separately.  Look at the attached screenshots.  You still might not like
> > it.  I also handled the case where the close button might be text only
> vs.
> > icon so it works for both.
>
> Does using 'add-face-text-property' (like in
> 'tab-bar-tab-name-format-face')
> instead of 'propertize' help to make the close button look like part of
> the tab?
>

Nope.  I think the issue is that the mouse-face on the caption left of the
close button cannot itself highlight the whole string while simultaneously
having a mouse-face on the close button.  So we either live with the visual
separation which appears only when people mouse over caption segments, or
abandon mouse-face on the close button.  I prefer the visual separation as
it makes it clear the close button is separate from the caption text.