Subject: bug#76385: closed (Re: bug#76384: Incorrect mouse events / tool-bar event is undefined error.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 08:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#76384: Incorrect mouse events / tool-bar event is undefined error.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76384: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76384
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76384: Incorrect mouse events / tool-bar event is undefined error.
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: mjk <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 10:37:49 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 16:46:44 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: mjk <[email-masked]>
> 
> I think I already sent the full info about the version that failed.
> 
> The working one is the same (version number) with the -.gt-x11 
> extension, and emacs-lucid works too.
> 
> I downloaded and compiled version 30.1 (rc on the web page) and compiled 
> it. This one seems to work, but with the default config, configure 
> produces a version that uses lucid, which seems to work as 29 too.
> 
> Not sure what to do to produce similar to the failing one, and whether 
> it is worth while to use a lot of time to try to reproduce this.

OK, thanks.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: Re: Incorrect mouse events / tool-bar event is undefined error.
From: mjk <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 23:06:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Sorry,

forgot to include the build details:

On fedora 40 with gnome.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.42, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-07-16 built on
  27527c2e06f843c0962737354e0b3cf7
System Description: Fedora Linux 40 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
  'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
  --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
  --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
  --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
  --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-cairo --with-dbus --with-gif
  --with-gpm=no --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-modules
  --with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk --with-png --with-rsvg
  --with-sqlite3 --with-tiff --with-tree-sitter --with-webp --with-xpm
  --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
  -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
  -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
  -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
  -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
  -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer '
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
  'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
  -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
  -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
  -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
  -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: fi_FI.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: fi_FI.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: fi_FI.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
   mml-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx cl-extra
help-mode url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
url-vars mail-extr message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader clang-rename
clang-include-fixer let-alist json subr-x map byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile clang-format cl-macs gv xml cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 96060 9792)
  (symbols 48 7993 0)
  (strings 32 23040 2318)
  (string-bytes 1 697119)
  (vectors 16 18706)
  (vector-slots 8 376260 22697)
  (floats 8 169 21)
  (intervals 56 374 0)
  (buffers 984 13))

On 17.2.2025 22.59, mjk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had irritating mouse problems originally in lsp/dap mode.
> The mouse caused many-many beeps due to mouse move errors.
>
> This is probably combination of problems in the basic thing and the lsp
> gui packages together.
>
> I was able to pinpoint one factor of this problem into configuration
> where I had removed my .emacs and .emacs.d, so that I was in a pretty 
> clean
> configuration.
>
> In this state I get spurious errors like:
>
> <tool-bar> <wheel-up> is undefined
> <tool-bar> <wheel-down> is undefined
> <tool-bar> <double-wheel-down> is undefined
>
> when I rotate the mouse wheel in the window area (pretty much any, like
> *scratch*). Note, in the text window, not in the tool bar.
>
> This happens only in a limited area at the top of the window. Not at the
> very top of the window, but somewhat below. The dimensions of these areas
> are as if the program was thinking that the menubar and the toolbar were
> in the text window (like it was dispatching events from
> coordinates where the origin is in the upper corner of the text window
> rather than in the top of the whole window of the application.
> So there is a narrow strip having same height as the menu-bar which is
> not giving these events, then an area with same height as the tool-bar
> which gives them, and then below it works normally again.
>
> Then when other gui packages are on, I start to get also other similar
> errors, probably depending on what events have been enabled and what
> handlers have been installed. Mouse move events are naturally the most
> irritating ones. Luckily emacs can be used pretty well with keyboard 
> only.
>
> t. mjk
>