Subject: bug#76384: Incorrect mouse events / tool-bar event is undefined error.

From: mjk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 03:49:28 +0200

Hello Guys,

Got some more info by testing. Rather interesting.
The reason I mentioned the window manager, is because that I haven't had 
much trust on gnome quality since version 3 (this is 46).

So I installed xcfe and tried there. Works fine. I do get mouse scroll 
beeps on the tool bar, but I think that is kind of correct behavior. 
Handlers just not defined.
In this configuration mouse events in text window scroll only the text 
window as expected.

On Xfce emacs (don't actually know where it comes from), pops up a 
display that says that pure gtk version of emacs is not supported and 
can cause crashes during transfers of large data, and recommends 
installing emacs-gtk-x11 or emacs-lucid.
To me this sounds like fedora related tweaking.

So I installed emacs-gtk-x11, and this seems to work fine, at least with 
the simplest case with *scrach* buffer and no configuration of my own.

This seems to be some kind of mismatch between the pure gtk emacs and 
gnome window manager, or maybe in the window manager itself. dunno.
What is weird is that in the versions that work, I get the mouse event 
errors from the tool-bar (as expected if they are not defined),
but in non working config I get them from the working window area. But - 
the tool bar works otherwise, so other mouse events are mapped correctly.
So it is very surprising that different events are managed different 
way. Seems that somebody is doing something fancy and overly complicated.

So, maybe this is not an emacs bug after all.

t. mjk

On 19.2.2025 18.39, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2025 15:04:20 +0200
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> From: mjk <[email-masked]>
>>
>> On fedora 40 with gnome. This was after throwing .emacs and .emacs.d aside.
>> I also tested as you instructed with -Q and it is just the same.
>> *scratch* is enough.
>> I suppose it is the same in any window for me. And it seems to be fully
>> repeatable.
>> Maybe I should try some other windowing system just for reference.
> OK, thanks.  This becomes curiouser and curiouser, then.
>
> What is your window manager?
>
> Po Lu, any ideas how this kind of weird thing could happen?