Subject: bug#7638: question about make link issue

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:05:14 -0700

On 12/14/2010 07:11 AM, Yixuan Huang wrote:
> Hello,
> When I try to make link on partition which mount from windwos through
> cifs. It will be prompt like:
> ln: creating symbolic link `aa.lnk': Operation not supported
> 
> Do we have any work around method to get it work if I want to make link on it?

Thanks for the report; however, it is lacking a bit in details.

What machine are you running 'ln' on - Windows or a Unix-like system?
And which system is hosting the cifs drive that your local machine is
trying to access?  Also, if you are using ln on windows, where did you
get it?  If it is from cygwin, there have been some recent improvements
to make cygwin try to use native symlinks rather than windows .lnk files
on remote drives that have an appropriate extension, although that may
only be samba rather than cifs.  If it is from mingw, there's no symlink
support whatsoever (since native windows symlink support was a
relatively recent addition, and is incompatible with POSIX semantics for
symlinks).  You may be better off taking your issue to the distro where
you got your copy of ln, since we probably won't be able to help you
much here.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org