Subject: Re: bug#7638: question about make link issue

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 07:50:48 -0700

[please keep the list in the loop]

On 12/14/2010 10:09 PM, Yixuan Huang wrote:
> Dear Eric,
> Thanks for your response.
> I ran ln on sles11 x64, and mount windos shared folder through mount -t cifs.
> My scripts will do ln -s xx xx.so, so it will report error and said like:
> tar: pegasus/lib/libpegcommon.so: Cannot create symlink to
> `libpegcommon.so.1': Operation not supported

Thanks for the additional information.  It sounds like you are running
into the issue on the Linux side of things, where you are locating files
on a cifs mount hosted natively by Windows.  Remember, Windows has very
poor symlink support, and cifs is accurately reporting that it cannot
create a symlink because the underlying file system on the native
Windows side can't represent symlinks.  This is not a bug in ln, but a
fundamental limitation of your choice of file system.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org