Subject: [bug#76377] gnu: packages: remove g-golf and nomad

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 07:56:48 +0100

More context: Later on, we made a package named g-golf as an alternative
equally valid package but (in code comments) discouraged its use.  This
was a unilateral “compromise”.  Unilateral because David has not
accepted it and, in private mails, did not want to discuss it.

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2025 at 10:57:28AM +0100, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
>> The context of this patch is a naming dispute.
> [...]
>
> This is bad for Guix. If the upstream developer of some software that we
> package has a reasonable request for us, we should strongly consider
> accepting their request.
>
> It does not help the Guix project to be argumentative or ornery.
>

Yes, this was not consensus decision making, but IMO is not Guix’ fault.

But David’s request, that we make g-golf the name of the guile-g-golf
package, can hardly be encouraged by Guix.  That is, logically, Guix
cannot encourage not following its policy.

> Let's work together to improve the world of free software, not dig in
> our heels over minor issues like package names. It's a free software
> project, not a package naming project.
>
> Also, this would not be the first time we accept some kind of cosmetic
> advice from upstream.

The original request [1] suggested using package version
0.8.0-rc9-guile2.2 for the guile2.2 variant (well, likely without rc9
now), which would deviate much from the rest of Guix (and is version>?
than 0.8.0).

Regards,
Florian

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2025-02/msg00173.html