Subject: bug#76362: closed (Re: bug#76362: 31.0.50; Setting display-line-numbers-type to 'relative crashes Emacs when opening certain files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 13:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#76362: 31.0.50; Setting display-line-numbers-type to 'relative crashes Emacs when opening certain files

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76362: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76362
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76362: 31.0.50; Setting display-line-numbers-type to 'relative crashes Emacs when opening certain files
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Yiyu Zhou <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 15:06:50 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 19:46:18 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Yiyu Zhou <[email-masked]>
> 
> Hi Eli,
> 
> Thanks for the patch, it's working great for me now after
> 1136963b4e81e2b3efd42f3bd609bf968d05831f

Thanks for testing, I'm therefore closing this bug.  If you see
something similar in the future, we can reopen.

Subject: 31.0.50; Setting display-line-numbers-type to 'relative crashes Emacs when opening certain files
From: Yiyu Zhou <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 00:15:31 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug is reproducible with two lines in the init.el file:

(global-display-line-numbers-mode 1)
(setopt display-line-numbers-type 'relative)

I discovered this when calling `push-button' in the help-mode buffer
trying to view a function definition in its source. I suspect the
overflow happens when loading a large file into the buffer, since I
could open certain files without crashing Emacs.

Here are the details of the backtrace:

*** buffer overflow detected ***: terminated
Fatal error 6: Aborted
Backtrace:
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x588c88]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x424402]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x42492c]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x424933]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x586b49]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(+0x40a70) 
[0x7fa8ba640a70]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(+0x9876c) 
[0x7fa8ba69876c]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x16) 
[0x7fa8ba6409c6]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(abort+0xd7) 
[0x7fa8ba628938]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(+0x2978b) 
[0x7fa8ba62978b]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(+0x126e09) 
[0x7fa8ba726e09]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(+0x126714) 
[0x7fa8ba726714]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(__strcat_chk+0x3a) 
[0x7fa8ba7282ba]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x46c1e5]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x47a1d7]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x47c77c]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x49b9d1]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x49e06b]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x5f914c]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x44c4b9]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x44c4e5]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x481eb0]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x574d68]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x578854]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x57a6c2]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x5f90b7]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x5638ee]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x5f8fa3]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x563886]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x568b28]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x568ecf]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x42d1de]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(+0x2a1fc) 
[0x7fa8ba62a1fc]
/nix/store/81mi7m3k3wsiz9rrrg636sx21psj20hc-glibc-2.40-66/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x89) 
[0x7fa8ba62a2b9]
/run/current-system/sw/bin/emacs() [0x42d7e5]
Aborted (core dumped)

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.18.2, Xaw3d scroll bars)
Repository revision: 35d4316101752fc45bfd2301d891fb7b64060500
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12401005
System Description: NixOS 25.05 (Warbler)

Configured using:
'configure
--prefix=/nix/store/5ar1qipbd7cgz3ggqxlrvhlymziddavj-emacs-git-20250216.0
--disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
--with-cairo --without-xft --with-compress-install
--with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-native-compilation
--without-imagemagick --with-mailutils --without-small-ja-dic
--with-tree-sitter --with-xinput2 --without-xwidgets --with-dbus
--with-selinux'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides 
/nix/store/5ar1qipbd7cgz3ggqxlrvhlymziddavj-emacs-git-20250216.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils compile text-property-search
comint subr-x ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run bytecomp byte-compile
comp-common rx cus-edit pp cus-load icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib
display-line-numbers rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 91860 20792) (symbols 48 8493 0) (strings 32 22134 1240)
(string-bytes 1 758171) (vectors 16 12148)
(vector-slots 8 167468 10150) (floats 8 31 1) (intervals 56 435 0)
(buffers 992 12))