Subject: bug#7635: AC_LIBSOURCE doesn't fail as it should if AC_OUTPUT is not used

From: Ralf Wildenhues <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:11:09 +0100

tags 7635 wontfix
close 7635
thanks

* Stefano Lattarini wrote on Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:35:32PM CET:
> If configure.ac does not contain a call to AC_OUTPUT, Automake
> does not fail as expected when file(s) specified in calls to
> macros AC_LIBSOURCE and/or AC_LIBSOURCES do not exist. See the
> attached test script.
> 
> Now, while the lack of AC_OUTPUT in configure.ac is almost surely
> a user error, IMHO it shouldn't prevent Automake from warning about
> other errors (in this case, the non-existence of files specified in
> calls to macros AC_LIBSOURCE and AC_LIBSOURCES).

Sorry, but I think the mechanism is fully adequate for any real-life
situation: the developer will first see that configure won't produce
any files, fix that bug by adding AC_OUTPUT, then see the other
automake error.  We don't need to ensure that all errors are
non-followup ones, that is impossible in practice.

I'm thus closing this bug as invalid.

Thanks for the report,
Ralf