Subject: bug#76343: shepherd 1.0.2 --help: warning: call to environ while multiple threads are running; further behavior unspecified.

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2025 15:06:45 +0100

tor 2025-02-27 klockan 17:26 +0100 skrev Ludovic Courtès:
> Hi Simon,
> 
> Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]> skribis:
> 
> > Thank you! Does this make shepherd Debian packages useless, or can
> > we suggest people to ignore the warning? Any simple way to patch it
> > out from within shepherd? The Debian freeze is in two weeks and it
> > would be nice to give a good first impression to people try it
> > shepherd from Debian… i could try to get guile patched, but it is
> > getting late.
> 
> A simple way would be to patch out the ‘environ’ warning in Guile: it
> didn’t exist before 3.0.10, it’s bogus (it fires even when you’re not
> mutating the environment and even with just a single user thread, as
> is
> the case here), and the comment itself doesn’t change program
> behavior.
> 
> If that’s not adequate, we could try and come up with a quick hack
> for
> shepherd to avoid the ‘environ’ call at the top-level (though that’s
> probably not something I would consider for inclusion in the Shepherd
> proper.)

A shephard-specific patch would be the simplest at this point, I think.
 
Do you have some idea how to do that?  I agree it seems like a Debian-
specific patch for now.

OTOH, maybe this is not critical.  It is a stderr warning message.  But
it does look ugly, and may give a bad first impression for Debian
people migrating towards Guix.

/Simon