Subject: Re: bug#76368: Cannot reboot when virtlogd and containerd is running?

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 10:46:57 +0900

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Dariqq <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> The issue is that thermald (and possibly other services) don't depend
>> on user-processes service. Don't know why I had no problems until now.
>
> This should be fixed: they should all depend on ‘user-processes’.

I was wondering if this shouldn't be part of an implicit default %shepherd-default-requires that
could be overridden if needed... but I think even in systemd land you
must explicitly specify wanted using e.g. 'WantedBy=multi-user.target'
in your systemd unit definition, so I guess it's fine that it must be
explicitly specified.

It'd be nice though, that in the case where it's missing, if it didn't
cause a hang upon shutdown.  I don't think anything should be able to
hang the system when calling 'shutdown', no matter what (perhaps there
count be some timeout... with a warning like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
waiting for service X to terminate...
[internal timeout, perhaps defaulting to 60 s or so]
service X forcefully terminated
hint: perhaps X should require the `user-processes' service?
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

If the reason of the hang could be inferred with reasonable certitude
from shepherd's side, even better, though I haven't thought how that
could be done.

LGTM for the two patches you've sent so far!  Thank you.

-- 
Maxim