Subject: shepherd restarts service during shutdown and then waits forever

From: Dariqq <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2025 14:38:49 +0000

Hi,

After I updated today I noticed that the system was not shutting down 
properly. The reason was that stopping of user-processes causes shepherd 
to respawn thermald.

The following is happening on tty12 (and is annoyingly not logged to 
/var/log/messages):

[...]
Stopping user processes
Sending all processes the TERM Signal
thermald : Terminating on user request
Respawning thermald
Service service thermald
Service thermald running with value ...
Service thermald has been started
[...]

Waiting for process termination (processes left (1 THERMALD-PID)
Waiting for process termination (processes left (1 THERMALD-PID)
Waiting for process termination (processes left (1 THERMALD-PID)
[...]

The issue is that thermald (and possibly other services) don't depend on 
user-processes service. Don't know why I had no problems until now.

Have a nice day,
Dariqq