Subject: Re: bug#76327: 29.4; random segfaults after switch to tree-sitter

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 22:18:05 +0200

> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 18:16:58 +0000
> From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Evgeniy Dushistov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>
> 
> Pip Cet <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The asm statement is probably unnecessary.
> >
> > I'll try figuring out which compiler option is to blame now.
> 
> Bug#65727 appears to be the relevant one.

OK, so this should be definitely fixed in Emacs 30.  But Evgeniy says
that even the master branch crashes, so what does this tell us?

> Maybe the fix should be backported?

Backported to Emacs 29?  We don't plan on any further releases from
the emacs-29 branch.  Distros might consider backporting that if they
still maintain and support Emacs 29 and older.

> Eli, Stefan K, what should be done with Emacs 29.4?

See above: we won't make any further Emacs 29.x releases.

> Between this, the setjmp "scrambling" issues affecting MPS, and the way
> -fanalyze=address breaks conservative GC, it seems like we really should
> ask the GCC folks for an option to support conservative GC, and provide
> appropriate builtins.  Maybe clang would follow suit.

Feel free to suggest that to them.