Subject: bug#76322: Make ctags a thin wrapper around etags

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 00:18:20 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

i wrote etags very early in development of GNU, starting from ctags
which I did not write.  At that time, I considered it unclean for a
program to behave differently depending on the name it is invoked
with.  The idea was that a user could give the program any name,
and it would still behave the same.

Back then, there was a reason to have ctags and etags, making their
different formats.  etags output had rough source locations which sped
up finding a definition in the source.

Nowadays that speedup may be insignificant in practice.

Is it still beneficial?

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)