Subject: Re: bug#76319: 31.0.50; duplicated name in etc/AUTHORS

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2025 09:06:52 +0200

> From: Elijah G <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2025 22:32:46 -0600
> 
> I've noticed my name in etc/AUTHORS file is duplicated in these both lines:
> 
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/etc/AUTHORS#n1719
> 
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/etc/AUTHORS#n1721

This file is auto-generated (on the release branch) when a pretest or
a release tarball is being prepared.  I've now made an unscheduled
change in it and committed the modified file on the release branch.

I'm therefore closing this bug.

The duplication is because you've used different names in different
commits.  The Lisp program which generates etc/AUTHORS is comparing
names and addresses literally, and it's devoid of any intelligence
that would conclude that these two names are the same person.

> I would ask that it be changed to: Elías Gabriel Pérez

The existing name is taken from your commits, so the best way of
making sure it is what you want is to ensure your commits have this
name and no other.  The above name is different both from your commits
and from the name in the copyright list, which is the reason why we
have different names in AUTHORS.  I've now added a rule to use your
preferred name, which should override what your commits say and
prevent the duplicate entries, but please make the effort of using
only that name in your contributions, to avoid any future problems
related to this.