Subject: bug#76313: New function `replace-region`

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2025 17:16:55 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  Eli
>  Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2025 09:21:51 -0500
> 
> >> I think it's hard to fix the problems of `replace-buffer-contents` in
> >> a backward incompatible way, so I suggest we "standardize" on
> >> `replace-region-contents` instead where we replace its REPLACE-FN
> >> argument with a REPLACE argument which can be either a string, or a
> >> buffer, or a function (this latter one could be deprecated, but we'd
> >> keep it for backward compatibility).
> >> This is backward-compatible, so we would obsolete only `replace-buffer-contents`.
> > This is orthogonal to `replace-region`, is it not?
> 
> Mostly.  And that's the point: to try and allow forward progress while
> we try and resolve the remaining disagreement.
> 
> > It sounds to me like a good change, in any case.
> 
> Eli?

I don't think I understand what is the question I'm being asked here.

If the suggestion is to extend replace-region-contents, then you will
recall that this was your first proposal, with which I agreed in
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76313#14, and again in
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76313#29, but you then
said in https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76313#32 you
didn't like that?