Subject: Re: bug#76313: New function `replace-region`

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 10:03:26 -0500

>> >> I'm not sure it'd be a good idea, tho: `replace-region-contents` is
>> >> a "heavy" operation, involving narrowing and another buffer, whereas
>> >> `replace-region` is meant to be a low-level operation (if we implement
>> >> it in C, we could arguably use it as *the* low-level operation and
>> >> define `insert` and `delete-region` on top of it).
>> >
>> > On the downside, we already have 2 APIs for this, so having a 3rd one
>> > will only make the confusion more prominent.
>> 
>> We could start by merging `replace-region-contents` and
>> `replace-buffer-contents`.
>
> Fine by me, thanks.

So does that mean you're OK with my new `replace-region`, and that
I should open a new bug-report with a proposal for how to merge
`replace-region-contents` and `replace-buffer-contents`?

Or something else?

        Stefan