Subject: Re: Request for merging "kernel-team" branch

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2025 11:04:41 -0400

On Tue, May 13, 2025 at 03:43:53PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
> the branch has been almost built, and I did not see major problems
> anymore. Adding an ungrafting commit would restart the whole process
> from scratch again. So at this point in time, I think it would be
> preferable to push the branch to master, and then maybe do a separate
> ungrafting round. The total build effort would now be the same, and it
> would give the other teams a chance to get their changes in.
> 
> What do you think?

Is the next branch (core-packages-team?) ready?

The graft that we would remove is eudev, and it would trigger 5252
builds per architecture. For ci.guix.gnu.org, that is not very much. I
can't estimate how long it would take for QA. If it would take 2 or 3
days, I would say that it's worth it.

As there is not an ungrafting team or branch, I'm skeptical that we
would remove these grafts anytime soon, and I think there is some
benefit to removing them. Applying the grafts on everybody's machines
all the time incurs a real cost in terms of storage, power consumption,
and time.