Subject: Re: bug#76300: [PATCH] Add Spanish translation for refcard.tex

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 13:55:41 +0100

On Sun, 23 Feb 2025 09:37:30 -0300 Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Feb 2025 07:35:42 -0300 Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
>  wrote:
>>
>>> Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>
>>>>+La especificaci{\'o}n \kbd{interactive} dice c{\'o}mo leer argumentos de
>>>
>>> "como", since we're not asking a question.
>>
>> But isn't this an indirect question?  Cf. "No sé cómo hacerlo" (from Butt,
>> Benjamin and Moreira Rodríguez (2019) A New Reference Grammar of Modern
>> Spanish (6th ed), p. 354).
>>
>
> Doesn't sound like an indirect question to me.  If it were "Emacs asks
> ..." or something like that, then yes.
>
> I might be entirely wrong.  I'm a native speaker but my last lesson of
> Spanish Grammar was in school, several years ago.

I'm not a native speaker of Spanish, only learned it at school, but that
was much longer than several years ago....  But I think indirect
questions can be introduced by more than interrogative verbs like "ask",
cf. <https://www.rae.es/gram%C3%A1tica/sintaxis/interrogativos-y-exclamativos-iv-c%C3%B3mo-y-por-qu%C3%A9-locuciones-que-se-les-asimilan>:
"No vi cómo lo hizo."  However, that page says both are possible:

"En la construcción /Ya verás cómo consigue ganar/ (con el adverbio
interrogativo cómo), se hace referencia a la manera de conseguir
algo. En cambio, en /Ya verás como consigue ganar/, la conjunción como
introduce una subordinada completiva que alude al propio hecho de la
consecución".

I have no intuition on this distinction, so leave the resolution to the
native speakers.

Steve Berman