Subject: Re: bug#76296: [PATCH maintenance] hydra: bayfront: Set up‘git.guix.gnu.org’ as a redirect to Savannah.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2025 11:03:46 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I wonder how this compares to storing and serving a mirror of the Git
>> repository. Maybe that's a bit more complicated in terms of the setup,
>> but it may perform better than a redirect and actually provide
>> redundancy?
>
> Good point.  I think mirroring would be good, but if and only if we can
> synchronize it at every push rather than periodically (current mirror is
> periodic).

Using the fancy GitHub/Forgejo Actions thing, I think that should be
possible.

> Regardless, I think the priority is to decide on whether this DNS entry
> is the way to go, so we can use it in (guix channels) on the day we
> switch.
>
> Once git.guix.gnu.org is in place, we can always change its
> implementation from redirect to mirroring.
>
> WDYT?

Good point, personally I'm pro using a domain we control for the Git
repository going forward, so yeah, I'm happy to see this setup so that
we can test it.