Subject: bug#7629: 23.2; Remote X Emacsclient Frame Issue

From: William Gardella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:57:38 -0500

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:07:34 +0800, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:
> William Gardella <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > 6.  If I have already closed my remote X emacsclient, the first server
> >     appears completely unresponsive and cannot be revived with, e.g.,
> >     emacsclient --eval \(server-start\).  All subsequent attempts to
> >     connect an emacsclient go to the new server process.
> 
> I believe this is a known problem with GTK builds of Emacs.  GTK cannot
> handle disconnections gracefully; see etc/PROBLEMS.  In the current
> pretest (which will be 23.3), Emacs will handle this by aborting if the
> X connection closes.

Thank you for your reply--I have an additional piece of information,
discovered through trial and error.

If started locally with my emacsclient -c --alternate-editor="" script,
the Emacs server creates its socket at /tmp/emacs1000/server

If started remotely with the same script, but executed from my netbook
via ssh -X, the Emacs server creates its socket at
/tmp/user/1000/emacs1000/server.

I don't know if this is related to the issue or not, but it does prevent
"emacsclient -c" from finding itself on the host machine unless I
specify --socket-name.

Best,

-- 
William Gardella
J.D. Candidate
Class of 2011, University of Pittsburgh School of Law