Subject: emacs-guix: Cannot install packge. "no variable name %final-inputs in #<directory (gnu packages commencement) 7f3370adf000>

From: Laurence Rochfort <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 11:27:42 +0000

Attempting to run any package action via emacs-guix results in the
below warning about abiword, and an exception about %final-inputs.
The warning about abi-word appears when the REPL starts.

$ guix describe
Generation 8 Feb 14 2025 11:13:57 (current)
  guix 7c6a76f
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 7c6a76fa090e846d79a7983d5cf1429932eb48ce

*Guix REPL* output following request to install nethack via guix-emacs:

GNU Guile 3.0.9
Copyright (C) 1995-2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)> ,m (emacs-guix)
scheme@(emacs-guix)> warning: failed to load '(gnu packages abiword)':
(process-package-actions
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laurence/guix-profile" #:install
'((139858567621552 "out")) #:upgrade '() #:remove '()
#:use-substitutes? #t #:dry-run? #f)
The process begins ...
The following package will be installed:
   nethack 3.6.7

ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
No variable named %final-inputs in #<directory (gnu packages
commencement) 7f3370adf000>

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.