Subject: bug#76278: closed (Re: bug#76278: 29.4; ERC 5.5.0.29.1: ERC Manual does not mention usage of .pem client certificates)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2025 18:16:03 +0000

Your bug report

#76278: 29.4; ERC 5.5.0.29.1: ERC Manual does not mention usage of .pem client certificates

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76278: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76278
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76278: 29.4; ERC 5.5.0.29.1: ERC Manual does not mention usage of .pem client certificates
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: Archie Halliwell <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2025 10:15:16 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

> Anyway, the attached patch includes the mentioned changes, which are
> mostly mechanical in nature. Please give feedback if you can.

I installed something similar as

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=1f60f86a

Thanks and closing

Subject: 29.4; ERC 5.5.0.29.1: ERC Manual does not mention usage of .pem client certificates
From: Archie Halliwell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 14:43:32 +1100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

The ERC Manual does not explain how to use .pem client certificates,
only how to use the combination of a .crt certificate and .key private
key. This is confusing as Libera.Chat's CertFP instructions only mention
the use of a .pem file, instructing users on how to create an
appropriate one.

The manual should really mention that a .pem file can be used as both
files in the client-certificate list.

When I was trying to set up CertFP I ended up trying to create a .crt
and .key from the .pem I had previously created, and could not connect
using them (presumably I had not created them properly). I imagine that
other users have run into this issue in the past, and have either given
up or had to ask for help on #erc as I did.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.8,
cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-10-03 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12401004
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
--disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.4
--htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.4/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
--program-suffix=-emacs-29 --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-29
--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-29 --localstatedir=/var
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
--without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
--with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
--with-dbus --without-modules --without-gameuser --with-libgmp
--with-gpm --without-native-compilation --without-json --with-kerberos
--with-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --without-xml2 --without-mailutils
--without-selinux --without-sqlite3 --with-gnutls --without-libsystemd
--with-threads --without-tree-sitter --without-wide-int
--with-sound=alsa --with-zlib --with-x --without-pgtk --without-ns
--without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
--with-xpm --with-xft --with-cairo --without-harfbuzz --without-libotf
--without-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=motif --with-gif --with-jpeg
--with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --without-webp --without-imagemagick
--with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -march=native -fno-fast-math
-ffp-contract=off' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed
-Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM JPEG LCMS2 NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM MOTIF ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: en_AU.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_AU.utf8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
erc-list-mode: t
erc-menu-mode: t
erc-autojoin-mode: t
erc-ring-mode: t
erc-pcomplete-mode: t
erc-track-mode: t
erc-track-minor-mode: t
erc-match-mode: t
erc-button-mode: t
erc-fill-mode: t
erc-stamp-mode: t
erc-netsplit-mode: t
erc-irccontrols-mode: t
erc-noncommands-mode: t
erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
erc-readonly-mode: t
erc-networks-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils shortdoc text-property-search erc-ibuffer ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs erc-log erc-notify erc-page erc-services erc-sound
erc-speedbar speedbar ezimage dframe erc-xdcc erc-dcc help-fns
radix-tree help-mode gnutls network-stream puny nsm erc-list erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring erc-track erc-match erc-button browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap wid-edit erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc iso8601 time-date auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map thingatpt
pp format-spec cl-loaddefs cl-lib erc-backend erc-networks byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo motif x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 110605 7861)
(symbols 48 11818 0)
(strings 32 37138 2697)
(string-bytes 1 1036615)
(vectors 16 21308)
(vector-slots 8 266009 7336)
(floats 8 106 22)
(intervals 56 630 236)
(buffers 976 16))