Subject: bug#76277: closed (re: Add Linux LUKS (8309) Partition Type to List of Supported File Systems)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 21:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#76277: Add Linux LUKS (8309) Partition Type to List of Supported File Systems

which was filed against the parted package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76277: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76277
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: re: Add Linux LUKS (8309) Partition Type to List of Supported File Systems
From: "Brian C. Lane" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 14:16:36 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

What do you mean by type 8309? msdos mbr partition types are 8 bits only
and LUKS is 0xE8, and on GPT it is CA7D7CCB-63ED-4C53-861C-1742536059CC

FWIW you can now set these values directly with the 'type' command.

Brian

-- 
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart

Subject: Add Linux LUKS (8309) Partition Type to List of Supported File Systems
From: Matouš Kavalík <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 00:50:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Currently, parted doesn't explicitly list the 8309 (Linux LUKS) 
partition type in the list of supported file systems. Since LUKS is a 
widely used encryption standard for Linux partitions, it would be very 
helpful if parted could recognize and display 8309 as a valid partition 
type.

Adding this feature would make it easier for users to manage encrypted 
partitions in parted and ensure that 8309 partitions are clearly 
identified during partitioning tasks.