Subject: Re: bug#76275: 31.0.50; frame-inhibit-implied-resize broken on recent master

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 10:49:18 +0800

Hello,

On Sat 15 Mar 2025 at 06:12pm +02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2025 16:09:20 +0100
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
>>
>>  > So what changes in the documentation would you suggest, and where?
>>
>> I'm afraid that neither Sean nor I can give you a satisfactory answer.
>
> I'm still willing to wait for Sean to chime in, perhaps he does have
> an idea.

I think we could describe that it is intended to work in terms of the
notion of "Emacs agreeing with the window manager on the size of the
initial frame" but also that this notion is not yet well-defined for
every single one of the large number of different window environments in
which Emacs already generally works well.

> In any case, if we cannot satisfactorily document this variable, the
> prudent thing is to remove it from the manual.  Because that means its
> use is only for experts who know the subtle aspects of the variable
> and its effects.

Currently the docstring and the manual are very similar.  So we could
merge the manual text into the docstring.  Then also add to the
docstring or in a code comment, that we would like to document this in
the manual again, once we have pinned down exactly when this agreement
between Emacs and the WM occurs, on more of the environments we support.

(Such as ones that are in fact quite commonly used, like mine.
 Wayland on GNU/Linux, especially Sway, is only increasing in adoption.)

For example, if we do get an alternative Emacs-for-Wayland to pgtk,
things might get a lot clearer.  Maybe the problems here are all in fact
Gtk issues (wouldn't be the first time!).  We'll see.

-- 
Sean Whitton