Subject: Re: bug#76264: [GNU ELPA] Use lisp-data-mode in generated *-pkg.el files

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2025 13:10:21 +0100

Philip Kaludercic [2025-02-14 15:45 +0000] wrote:

> The only negative to this patch is that users on Emacs 27 or before will
> get a warning about an invalid mode, but otherwise I think that this is
> a good idea.

Here I see more than just a warning, in Emacs versions 24 through 27:

0. cd "$(mktemp -d)"
1. HOME="$PWD" XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$PWD" emacs-27.2
2. M-: (setq package-check-signature nil) RET
3. M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
4. M-x package-install RET dash RET

I attach backtraces from Emacs 24.5 and 27.2.

What I'm not sure about is why only some packages result in an error.
I'm guessing elpa.gnu.org is caching -pkg.el files of packages that have
not been updated in the meantime.

I assume we want to continue supporting older Emacs versions, so does
the elpa.git patch need reverting (plus manual intervention to revert
any cached -pkg.el files), or am I missing something / is there a better
solution?

Thanks,
-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.18.2, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2024-11-29 built on tais
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101016
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Recent messages:
Saving file /tmp/tmp.ScBnNSmPQL/.emacs...
Wrote /tmp/tmp.ScBnNSmPQL/.emacs
Saving file /tmp/tmp.ScBnNSmPQL/.emacs...
Wrote /tmp/tmp.ScBnNSmPQL/.emacs
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:443
Parsing tar file...done
Extracting...done
  INFO     Scraping files for dash-autoloads.el... 
Generating autoloads for dash-functional.el...done
Entering debugger...

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/blc/.local --program-suffix=-27.2-lucid
 --with-file-notification --with-cairo --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-x'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT
LIBOTF ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail cl-extra help-fns cl-print
debug backtrace help-mode find-func bug-reference autoload radix-tree
lisp-mnt tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode cus-edit wid-edit mm-archive
message dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search
time-date mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-utils gnutls network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache
url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap finder-inf package easymenu
browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start
cus-load tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 132541 9164)
 (symbols 48 10938 1)
 (strings 32 46606 2064)
 (string-bytes 1 1918170)
 (vectors 16 17792)
 (vector-slots 8 215475 17462)
 (floats 8 50 75)
 (intervals 56 713 0)
 (buffers 1000 19))